- ―Marshmallow's catchphrase
Marshmallow (also known by his given name, Winkie, Marshy, MM, or by his gang nickname, Marshmallow 2) is a main character in the Annoying Orange series. As a small, childlike anthropomorphic white marshmallow, by fans, they are the most adorable character of the show and was possibly inspired by Dane Boedigheimer's "Marshmallow Murder" video. Marshmallow eventually replaced Passion as the 4th character position in the Annoying Orange series. In later episodes, Marshmallow was replaced by Grapefruit as the 4th position character upon the cancellation of the Marshmallow show.
Marshmallow is a former resident of Detroit (Marshmalia). They are the child of the king of his home planet and a unicorn. They came to Earth to pursue their dream of being an actor on a web-based comedy series. However, shortly after his arrival, they were kidnapped by Jigsaw for an unknown reason. They made their first appearance in Annoying Saw 2: The Annoying Death Trap because of this. Jigsaw offered Orange new occupation as his apprentice, meaning that they wanted Orange to annoy Marshmallow to death (literally). However, Jigsaw's plan failed horribly, as Orange took a great liking to Marshmallow, and they became great friends. Orange ended up rescuing Marshmallow from Jigsaw's death trap in Dane Boedigheimer's basement. Marshmallow later appeared in Happy Birthday! Moving into the kitchen after being rescued by Orange. They befriended Midget Apple while they were stuck in Orange's birthday cupcake. After Midget Apple escaped from the cupcake, they became Marshmallow's best friends and has been ever since. Although Marshmallow seemed completely harmless at the time, it was revealed in Best Fiends Forever that he has a dark and dangerous side to them. Grapefruit had moved into the kitchen on that day, and after a few minutes, he started to tease Marshmallow. His attempt to make Marshmallow succeeded... Perhaps too well. Grapefruit's victory turned to defeat after he burns a photo of Princess Butterfly Kiss, Marshmallow's favorite pet unicorn. Marshmallow got so angry that they wrecked half the kitchen, knocking Grapefruit out of the roof, killing Celery and almost killing Orange. However, after the incident, they acted as if nothing had happened. Marshmallow has done this in many other episodes (some examples being Annoying Orange vs. Angry Birds: MARSHMALLOW, Buddy Cops and Lords of Fruitbush). Since then, Marshmallow has become one of the main characters in the series (replacing Passion Fruit's place as tritagonist along with Midget Apple). As of the 28th day of May in 2012, they revisited his home planet due to an accidental crash-landing caused by the Broccoli Overlord. They have been reunited with his father and many other marshmallows on Marshmalia. Marshmallow explained how rock candy used to be the main ingredient in s'mores until it was replaced by marshmallows. An evil being known as the Big Rock Candy Monster was jealous of the marshmallows because of this, and planned to destroy Marshmalia as their revenge. However, Marshmallow and the gang were able to defeat the Big Rock Candy Monster be heating caramel that he was stuck in. After that, their ship was repaired by Nerville, giving them access back home. Marshmallow currently lives in the kitchen with the rest of the gang, and periodically visits the fruit cart on Daneboe's Grocery Market. As of the 4th day of June in 2014, Marshmallow aired the first episode of his/her talk show, The Marshmallow Show. They works on the show with Shroomy as his co-host, and Joe as his/her cameraman. They was voted most likely to say "Yay!" in Cruel Middle School.
Usually, Marshmallow is not angry or frustrated. However, in the Annoying Orange episode Best Fiends Forever they got very angry because Grapefruit burned a picture of Marshmallow's favorite unicorn, Princess Butterfly Kiss. They then preceded (offscreen) to attack Grapefruit which caused the house to explode. This side of their personality would become more common in later episodes. They often laughs and has the same sense of humor of Orange. They have a funny laugh that goes, "Hehehehehe!" and "Yay!". Orange and Marshmallow seem to be close friends. Orange doesn't annoy Marshmallow at all. Marshmallow has a high-pitched, squeaky voice and has the personality of a child(it is possible that they still are).
Marshmallow is a cheery, bubbly little soul; they are always happy, but will instantly switch to the emotion that suits the current problem, it is shown that when they sneeze, magic, sparkling glitters spray out of his non-existent nose. They enjoys "rainbows, puppies and kittens and flowers and Rainbows and clouds and bunnies and rainbows" (as they said in the Annoying Orange meets Charlie The Unicorn Spoof). They are never sad, angry or unhappy unless the situation justifies it. They also have a profession in writing song lyrics, despite the overuse of rainbows in them.
- Main article: Marshmallow/Gallery
- They have a high, squeaky chipmunk voice, even though they are portrayed by Dane Boedigheimer.Their voice obviously must have been digitally modified.
- Their laugh is similar to the orange who appeared in More Annoying Orange.
- In Annoying Orange meets Charlie the Unicorn, it is shown that Marshmallow can jump, even though they don't have any legs.
- Marshmallow has a Facebook Account.
- Their mobile phone's background is a unicorn.
- Marshmallow's gender is questioned extremely often, and the videos always hide Marshmallow's true gender, regardless of how many comments regarding this are submitted in Ask Orange. His gender was intended to be revealed for the 5,000,000 Subscriber Special, but it was a prank, given it was released on April Fool's Day of 2016. In some episodes, though, marshmallow is classified as a male, most notably the marshmallow theme song.
- However, Marshmallow has been referred as male in four videos: Annoying Saw 2: The Annoying Death Trap, Theme Song Attack, Best Fiends Forever, and Orange Nya Nya Style. Some viewers believe that Marshmallows gender is already confirmed mostly because of the pronouns claimed by other characters.
- Marshmallow did intend to reveal his real gender a few times but failed to do so. For example, in the 5,000,000 Subscriber Special, Marshmallow's gender was to be revealed, but it was a prank, given it was released on April Fool's Day in 2016. In Ask Orange #33, Marshmallow was ready to reveal it with given codewords ("Yay" if female and "Yay" in reverse if male). Unfortunately, both code words sound exactly the same.
- Marshmallow's middle name is Jordan, which is given name for both male and female.
- In Best Fiends Forever, it is seen that Marshmallow can be destructive when pushed to the limit, and apparently has enough power to make the whole kitchen explode and propel Grapefruit out of the house.
- Their favorite song is Space Unicorn by Parry Grip.
|Characters of The Annoying Orange|
|Main Characters||Orange · Pear · Midget Apple · Marshmallow · Passion Fruit · Grapefruit · Grandpa Lemon|
|Recurring Characters||Apple · Squash · Knife · Liam the Leprechaun · Captain Obvious · Nude Dude · Dr. Bananas · Zoom · Copper Lincoln · Lou the Tick · Orange's Sister · Gaming Grape · Sour Rangers (Red · Yellow · Pink · Green) · Mustachios Mushroom Peach|
|TV Exclusive Characters||Nerville · Apple · Coconut · Peach · Tomato · Banana · Pineapple · Ginger · Broccoli Overlord|